They rarely believe what you show them.
They often believe what their friends tell them.
They always believe what they tell themselves.
--- Seth Godin
Here's a classic presentation structure:
- Tell them what you're going to tell them.
- Tell them.
- Tell them what you told them.
Here's a better way
- Tell them why it's important to them.
- Tell them how they should feel about it.
When the going gets tough, the tough get rowing.
2009 looks like a tough year for our clients and us. To row against the current, we need to strengthen our muscles and improve our techniques. We'll then make progress rather than drift backwards.
Here are other books waiting eagerly on my bookshelf to help us.
Can't Put Down
- Dan Kennedy - No B.S. Sales Success
- Malcolm Gladwell - Outliers: The Story of Success
- Stephan Schiffman - Sales Presentation Techniques
- Paul Leroux and Peg Corwin - Visual Selling
- Alice Schroeder - The Snowball: Warren Buffett And The Business Of Life
- Chris Anderson - The Long Tail: Why The Future Of Business Is Selling Less Of More
- Seth Godin (editor) - The Big Moo (33 authors): Stop Trying To Be Perfect And Start Being Remarkable
- Seth Godin - Free Prize Inside
- Seth Godin - Permission Marketing
May your 2009 be really fine!