— Jonathan Lister
The head of LinkedIn Canada, Jonathan Lister (profile), spoke about social media at the Toronto Board of Trade last week. He gave many valuable tips and I agreed with most. Here are highlights.
Why Bother?You know about the power of word of mouth. Jonathan pointed out the social media is word of mouth at scale. The same principles apply. Success comes from being personal, relevant and passionate.
These days the microphone is always on. You (or people like you) are being discussed in some community, even if you aren't there. Turn that into opportunity.
You can now position yourself as an expert at scale. LinkedIn may be the best medium ever. And it's free.
Jonathan suggested you start with a strategy. Years ago the term "social media" didn't exist. I started by experimenting. These days, you can catch up quickly if you hire the right social media expert.
Five ReasonsJonathan gave five solid reasons to use social media
- Managing your reputation
- Establishing yourself as a thought leader
- Generating leads
Marketing Your BusinessTo market your business, you need to
- have a plan
- get involved
- use your own voice
- unified vision
- a way of valuing a customer interaction
The ToolsOnce you figure out your strategy, you can then select the appropriate tools. While there is overlap, each platform is fundamentally different. For instance,
- Facebook is for your personal life
- Twitter is for broadcasting and listening
- LinkedIn is for your professional life
Suppose you were confronted with the challenge in this video:
Skill testing question
To find out more about the aspects that intrigue you, do a web search or ask your community.
- A LinkedIn believer: interview with Jonathan Lister (Financial Post, Sept 2010)
- The easiest way to catch up with social media
- How to hire a social media expert
- Get foundin' LinkedIn to keep growin'
- A proven technique to expand your LinkedIn network
- How do you market to your network?
- Go beyond LinkedIn (a sad case study)
- Adventures in networking without ever meeting
- The three marketing essentials for today
- The five marketing keys from Google's Chris O'Neill (new)
- Breakfast with Jonathan Lister of LinkedIn at the Toronto Board of Trade (Mitch Fanning) (new)
- Image courtesy of LinkedIn