To help you boost your revenue, I attend various free seminars to
- see if you would benefit from them
- detect ways to make your own seminars better
Since few advisors have a web presence, I'll skip the intriguing tips on Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to share ideas you can use offline.
The Three Lessons
- The money's in the list
- Proof convinces
- Strangers critique well
Virtually every attendee came via an email list. I was through the Streetsmart Marketer, which Paul recently bought from Michael Hepworth, who now works on alternative fuels. Using email lists means that no money was spent on advertising. Yet the room was filled close to capacity.
To create a list, you need to offer visitors something they value. To keep subscribers (what Seth Godin might call a tribe), you need to send useful information on a regular basis without sales pitches. That's been my goal with blogging: sharing the best of what I know for free. You can easily achieve similar results.
Never make your claim bigger than your proof --- Paul TobeyIn many free seminars, we're told to trust the presenter based on what the presenter tells us. Hardly objective. Paul proved that he can create webpages that make the first page of Google search results. Examples (at the time of writing)
- business networking techniques: #6 on google.com and #3 on google.ca
- top Internet website ranking: #3 on google.com and #2 on google.ca
In financial services, proof proves elusive. Clients take longer to be convinced and fewer get convinced. High rankings in search engine results does boost your credibility.
Since people buy according to their own schedules, we need ways to stay in contact until they're ready.
Strangers Critique Well
As an exercise, we had five minutes to create headlines that would intrigue a reader who knows nothing about your product. Here are mine
- Revealing Tax Saving Strategies Approved By The Taxman
- How Do The Unique Tax Advantages Of Insurance Help You?
- Improved Tax Strategies For The Wealthy
- What Five Insured Strategies Do The Wealthy Use?
- Why Accountants Approve 10/8 Leveraging Strategies
While I can't gauge the value of the 3-day seminar, the primer delivered more content than expected. Even ideas that work offline.